Thursday, March 5, 2009

James Dean Live Fast, Die Young

"If a man can bridge the gap between life and death, if he can live on after he's dead, then maybe
he was a great man." ~ James Dean

Words can not express just how much I love this man! There was a time in my life where you could not turn your head whilst sitting in my room and not see a picture or poster or something with James Dean's name or face. I had this very high slanted ceiling and I even once had a painter come by for an estimate on how much it would be to have him paint Jame's image on my ceiling. (Unfortunately at the time I was a teenage and it would have cost me over $300 an hour) In fact when I met my husband I told him "James Dean and I are a package deal, love me, love James" Lucky for me I am married to the most wonderful man in the world who likes old movies and deals with my James Dean neurosis.
"You can't show some far off idyllic conception of behavior if you want the kids to come and see the picture. You've got to show what it's really like, and try to reach them on their own grounds"~ James Dean.....
James how right you were! I think the reason you are so loved is that you identified with the angst we all feel as youths. You brought to light the struggle, the broken heart, and the disillusion of growing up to realize, as Bukowski said that "The dark is empty; Most of our heroes have been wrong" But not you James, you are my hero and you were right. You taught all of us who love watching you act and who grieve for you even now that we must "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"

Shot of the James Dean Memorial sign and I on the way to Cholame in California where James had his fateful wreak. This was where he made his last stop. James will never be forgotten and will live forever, not only in his movies, but in the hearts of those who relate to and love him. I wish I could have met you, James but I will settle for knowing your talent and appreciating you, not only as an actor, but as the honest person you were. Your fans are dedicated to never letting you fade away.
The only greatness for man is immortality. ~ James Dean
James, you are immortal and you are great!






No comments:

Post a Comment